make caramel for buttercream SALTED CARAMEL RECIPES-
2 cups sugar
1 2/3 cups heavy cream
2 Tbsp salted butter
3/4 tsp coarse sea salt
Method to make the caramel sauce:
1. Spread the sugar in an even layer in a large metal pot, at least 6 quarts. Set over a moderate heat and cook without stirring, until the sugar near the edge just starts to liquefy.
2. Use a wooden spoon and begin stirring, encouraging the melted sugar around the edges toward the center, delicately stirring up any sugar melting on the bottom as well. The sugar will start to look pebbly as it cooks, but keep going until it is melted completely and an amber color. If you think it is cooking too fast, lower the heat and keep stirring. Be patient.
3. Continue to cook until the sugar turns deep brown. Once brown, take it off of the heat!!!!
4. Time to add the cream but here is my trick....only add a DROP at a time and stir, stir, stir. This will eliminate the seizing of your caramel and you will love me for this trick. Keep adding a drop at a time and stirring until all of the cream is mixed in. Be patient...you have a lot of cream so this will take a few minutes. Once smooth, add butter and salt. Let cool. Will store in fridge up to one month. HA! As if it will last that long...ever!!!! TOO delicious!!
Salted Caramel Frosting 2 sticks butter at room temperature
8 ounces of cream cheese
3-4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 cup salted caramel (recipe above) 1. Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy.
2. Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar into the butter/cream cheese mixture and beat to combine.
3. Add 1 cup of the salted caramel and beat to combine.
4. Add additional powdered sugar until the frosting is the sweetness and consistency you desire.
For the cookies I used these awesome Gluten free cookies By Immaculate!