MY FRIEND HAS THE BEST POT FOR MAKING CARAMEL! SINCE SHE WASN'T PARTING WITH IT (I TRIED! LOL), I HAD TO FIND MYSELF A STAINLESS STEEL POT ESPECIALLY FOR MY CARAMEL MAKING! I BOUGHT A CUISINART 5 QUART POT. SHE'S A BEAUTY AND SHE MAKES THE BEST CARAMEL EVER!!!! SHE IS PICTURED ABOVE! SO, IF YOU DO HAVE A STAINLESS POT, I RECOMMEND MAKING YOUR CARAMEL IN IT. SOME TIPS I HAVE FOUND HELPFUL:
1. WHEN ADDING THE CREAM, ADD IT VERY SLOWLY WHILE STIRRING CONSTANTLY. DO NOT POUR IT ALL IN AT ONCE!!!! IT WILLLLL CLUMP THAT WAY.
2. HEAT THE CREAM SLIGHTLY IN THE MICROWAVE BEFORE USING IT TO TAKE OFF THE CHILL.
THESE TIPS WORKED FOR ME AND MY CARAMEL HAD ZERO CLUMPS!!! HOORAY!!!
SALTED CARAMEL RECIPE-THIS RECIPE IS DREAMY! IT'S THE CARAMEL OF MY DREAMS....AND NOW YOURS, TOO!
2 cups sugar
1 2/3 cups heavy cream, heat just a bit so it is warm-I microwave it
2 Tbsp salted butter
3/4 tsp coarse sea salt
Method to make the caramel sauce:
1. Spread the sugar in an even layer in a large metal dutch oven or casserole, at least 6 quarts. Set over a moderate heat and cook without stirring, until the sugar near the edge just starts to liquefy.
2. Use a wooden spoon begin stirring, encouraging the melted sugar around the edges toward the center, delicately stirring up any sugar melting on the bottom as well. The sugar will start to look pebbly as it cooks, but keep going until it is melted completely and an amber color.
3. Continue to cook until the sugar turns deep brown. Don't let it burn and don't walk away.
4. Remove from the heat and quickly stir in about a quarter of the cream. The mixture will bubble up quickly, so be very careful-step back! Continue to whisk the cream, stirring as you go to make sure it's smooth. Stir in the butter and salt. Let cool.
ADAPTED FROM MANU'S MENU